This page features resources that complement The Virtual Events Report from Tagoras that provides data, in-depth analysis, and case studies for the emerging trend of virtual events, conferences, and trades shows.
You can read through the whole page or use the links below to jump to the topics that interest you. To explore other resources, go to our main Resources page.
- Interviews & Audio
- Definition of Virtual Event
- Guidance for Successful Virtual Events
- Virtual Event Examples
- Survey on Hybrid Events
- Pricing a Virtual Conference
- Virtual Event Technology and Services Providers
Interviews & Audio
The following Leading Learning Podcast episodes (each with extensive show notes) focus on virtual events:
- Virtual Conferences Now
- Virtual Conference Tips and Insights
- Surging into Virtual Events with Arianna Rehak
- Making Virtual Events Real with Phil Mershon of Social Media Examiner
- After Action Review for 2017 Learning • Technology • Design™ (LTD)
- Mid-Action Review for 2018 Learning • Technology • Design™ (LTD)
Definition of Virtual Event
We use the following definition of virtual events in conducting surveys on the topic:
A virtual event is a Web-based event that replicates many aspects of a traditional place-based conference, membership meeting, or trade show. It may take place on a standalone basis or in conjunction with a place-based conference (i.e., a “hybrid” event).
Virtual events feature multiple sessions (not just a single Webinar or Webcast) and may include keynote presentations, training and education workshops, discussion areas, social networking opportunities, exhibit areas for vendors, and various other features. Activities in a virtual event may take place in real time (synchronously), on demand (asynchronously), or some combination of the two.
Guidance for Successful Virtual Events
Various resources for helping you with planning and executing a successful virtual conference or other virtual event.
- 20 Tips for Successful Virtual Events (PDF)
This downloadable PDF provides just what the title says–tips drawn from our online surveys and discussions with a wide range of associations who’ve offered virtual events to help you make your virtual event a success.
- Engaging Learners in Virtual Conferences: What You Can Try Online (Blog post)
This blog post provides a comprehensive overview of engagement techniques we have used at our own virtual events.
- ACM Virtual Conferences Report
An effort by the Association for Computing Machinery to provide concrete advice to turn your event into a state-of-the-art online gathering.
Virtual Conference Examples
The following are links to the Web pages or micro-sites for a range of organizations that offer virtual conferences. This is not meant to be anywhere near a comprehensive list. It is just intended to give you a feel for the way a range of different organizations are approaching virtual events.
- ACOFP ’20 Virtual
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- ASHRAE Virtual Conferences
- Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity
- Chief Learning Office Virtual Symposium
- Endo Online 2020 (Endocrine Society)
- Healthcare Financial Management Association Spring Virtual Conference
- Learning • Technology • Design™ (LTD)
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization Virtual Conference
- NIGP: The Institute for Public Procurement
- NCACPA Not-for-Profit Accounting Conference
- Pharma Forum
- Public Library Association Virtual Conference
- SIR 2020 VIRTUAL
- Association Success Surge Events
Here are some other sites that are tracking virtual conferences and events:
- List of Digital Learning Conferences Going Virtual Due to Coronavirus
- Pivoting to Virtual Events: 10 Examples from Leading Brands
If you host a virtual conference or other major virtual event or know of others that could be added to this list, please contact us.
Survey on Hybrid Events
Pricing a Virtual Conference
To determine pricing for the first Learning • Technology • Design™ (LTD) virtual conference we used the Van Westendorp Price Sensitivity Meter. The following video is a recording from an LTD 2017 session in which we explained this approach in detail.
Virtual Event Platform and Service Providers
The following companies provide virtual conference platforms, services related to use of those platforms, or both. We’ve focused the list on organizations that provide a full-featured platform and/or services (which is why you won’t find Adobe Connect, GoToMeeting, WebEx, Zoom, and the like below.)
- All in the Loop
- Blue Sky eLearn
- Communique Conferencing
- Community Brands
- INXPO (now part of Intrado)
- Mainstream Media
- Matchbox Virtual Media
- Meeting Play
- Meeting Tomorrow
- Onstream Media
- Scarritt Group
- Vision Virtual
- Vocal Meet
- Web Courseworks
If you have another virtual conference platform or service provider to suggest – or any other resources you feel it would be valuable to add to this page – please contact us.